Sunday, October 10, 2010

Yesterday Once More: 1997 Navy MSTD Trip - Day 40 (Cairns)

10 Oct 1997 Flashback

Today my duty in Cairns and my 1st time kanna cocktail duty. As usual, lower the truck ramp in the morning, my QM detail is 2nd detail. Do a lot of work in the morning and rest only a while before closing up as QM. Manage to rest after the 1st watch. The cocktail party start at 7.30pm and there wasn't many pretty girls. The food was nice though I accidentally eat some beef. Tomorrow wonder where to go, Compass reef, Green island or just walk around town. CNSA ask me to follow them to compass reef, a lot of them going, i might go but i got to get some money first. Also, how I'm going to post the postcards. The post office opens from 9am to 12.30pm. I've already written for C and V. Many of them didn't buy much things here, maybe I'll draw $150 bucks instead of $200. Right now, I'm on watch QM duty, earlier "somebody" just brought a 21 year old Japanese girl to the ship, OOD said cannot let her step onboard. *Private thoughts*. Signoff, Weizhong 12.16am

---------------------------------------------------------------

On the shipcrew mention, CNSA is a friendly chief in charge of the ship logistics stuffs. He is also a very responsible shipcrew. Remember during sailing, "somebody" suggested him to take it easy (not so on) with his rounds during odd hours but he say the lives of everyone onboard depends on him, no shortcut. I was impressed and suddenly realized the importance the role that each one of us play during watch-keeping. He's also a good friend of a senior L202 gunner that I respect a lot.

Sgt See Han Hui was one of the two most senior gunner when I first joined L202. He always stay in onboard L202 eventhough he has no duties and is free to go home. He likes fishing. I'm not a fan of fishing but get to know him better during my frequent guard duties. Remember he taught me how to clean the heads (toilets) in tip-top manner. As a junior gunner, I was assigned to take care of cleaning the toilet during pre-inspection or duty. My partner was a ME OJT, who rather not so keen on cleaning toilet and "chute pattern". Sgt See knew I was being taken advantage of and discreetly make sure the other party done his due diligence. I didn't get to go for many sailing with Sgt See as he was due to ORD not long after. But he earned my respect during the time that we were fellow gunners. No senior gunner air to a junior like me. In fact, the early day gunner team all treat me very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment