Sunday, October 31, 2010

Yesterday Once More: 1997 Navy MSTD Trip - Day 55 & onwards

The latest date recorded in MSTD 97 diary was only up to 24 Oct 1997. After that, no more writing on MSTD found on the board. The below are the remaining days of the MSTD 97 trip that I could recall purely based on memory and photos. These are posted on my facebook account and I decided to archive them on the blog here for preservation sake.

‎25 Oct 1997 Flashback: Another shore leave day @ Surabaya, another day spend in Tunjungan Plaza. The midshipmen went to climb Mount Bromo volcano since the day before I think. Shipcrew not required to join.

‎1997 MSTD Sailing Trip Random Flashback: During my time @ Cairns, bought a copy of Australian Women Weekly Special edition on Princess Diana. KCP complain me about this purchase. He felt he would understand if the purchase item is Teresa Teng related. I understood what he meant.

‎26 Oct 1997 Flashback: Once upon a time on this day, spend good time with L202 crews ice-skating at the basement ice-skating ring of Tunjungan Plaza. Also bought my legendary adidas jacket plus an adidas short at one of the shop at Tunjungan Plaza, recommended by ME Jerry Ong. Think he was looking for white adidas short. Good price. The midshipmen has returned from Mount Bromo with lots of film photos to develop. The photo developing shop enjoyed brisk business from the midshipmen & L202 crews including me. All the photos that we had taken from the earlier ports, we didn't wait to return to SGP to develop it. We did it all in Surabaya as it is cheaper. Initially, they gave us Kodak Royal paper but later ran out of it and give us the ordinary paper.

‎27 Oct 1997 Flashback: Once upon a time on this last day @ Surabaya, my guard duty day but I was able to go out for few hours during off watch hours as some folks choose to remain onboard ship and help standby. Tunjungan Plaza again where I had my 1st ever haircut outside Singapore. Collect photos & came back to ship early to close up guard duty that night. That duty turn out to be a drama filled one with an indonesian lady & some indonesian folks came to the ship, accusing one of the midshipman of shoplifting @ Tunjungan Plaza. Fingerpointing but I don't remember any proof. On my end, "somebody" of higher rank complain CPL Tey, the on duty QM of insubordinate behaviour. The complainer was just back from shoreleave & seemed to be under the influence of alcohol at time of incident. It was a minor incident but I was questioned by XO on what I say to complainer. OPS 'O' was quick to assure me that I did nothing wrong & he would take care of things.

‎28 Oct 1997 Flashback: Happy 19th Birthday to RSS Excellence. L202 would have been 32 years old today if it has not been decommissioned.

‎29 Oct & 30 Oct 1997 Flashback: Once upon a time, after departure from Surabaya & heading north, there was one major incident that took place. Not sure if its happen on 29 Oct or 30 Oct 97. Two shipwright OJTs were doing their work in the morning, shifting metal pipes. The two OJTs are like best of friends, always together & taking care of each other during the trip. Accident happen in the course of work where the smaller shipwright finger was severely injured by metal pipe end that was pushed in at other end by his fellow shipwright OJT. It was unintentional but his finger was badly damaged & out at sea. I saw tears from both OJTs, the one injured & his good buddy who's feel bad at this accident. We do have a doctor onboard but limited medical equipment. L202 called for help from our Air force counterpart & we had to prepare for Helo Ops to evacuate the casualty the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment